And speaking of sand (bam! segue), I am going to bore you with Lost details. Kelly does not like Lost and our friend was over last night to join in hating on it. And then they start asking about this person or that person or this plot line and when I answer with "smoke monster" and "no, no, the other flight that crash-landed on the island -- the Ajira flight," I get snickers and looks like "OK, whatever. Enjoy your stupid program." But I do feel I have a case for this show, especially with an English-major wife who should surely appreciate symbols and motifs and retracing plot lines. I mean sure, the acting is...what's the word?...awful. But I don't watch for the acting. I'm in it for the nerdiness.
Case in point: the numbers of Lost. My favorite element seeing as how much I like those amazing ten things that literally make our world go 'round. Lost's numbers are: 4-8-15-16-23-42. Those numbers won the lottery, were stenciled on the hatch, and were required to be typed into a Commodore 64 every 108 seconds to prevent said hatch from realeasing negative matter or some such thing (there's the sound of Kelly's eyes rolling again).

Then, the numbers come back again last night. The Jacob spirit/dude on the island apparently had designated people as "chosen ones" to take over his job well before they came to the island (sometimes as children) so that these candidates might one day watch over the island as he does/did. He assigned "chosen ones" to numbers. And wouldn't you know it? 6 of the survivors that came on the plane crash were assigned 4-8-15-16-23-42. Delicious. Even more delicious is having possessed/zombie John Locke (again from Kelly: "Really? John Locke? That's his name? Is Adam Smith there too?") last night rail against having anyone to watch over the island. We don't need anyone to watch over the island; it's just an island, he says. Flash back several seasons to when they are in the hatch and he defends (as original John Locke) punching in those numbers every 108 seconds to Jack, and Jack says they don't need to do it; it's just numbers and it's just a useless old computer with no Windows installed. But the one time Desmond (Kelly: "Who the #$%@ is Desmond?") forgot to punch in the numbers, the 6 people assigned numbers by Jacob showed up on the island because the hatch started to release all this crazy energy and magnetism and it caused the plane crash. SO, now if no one from Jacob's list of 6 candidates watches over the island (like not punching in the numbers to the Apple IIe), what will happen? Crazy things? We'll find out.
Ok, Ok. It's stupid. Fine. Just give me the 14 more hours required in my life to watch the remaining episodes and leave me in peace, woman!
I hope the baby comes soon! We are thinking of you guys! -Emily
ReplyDeleteI'm so excited to see Grace Elizabeth! Hurry, girl!! Claire said she did lots of visualization about being a blossoming flower opening up or something when she was getting ready to give birth, so that might go along with the whole "magical thinking" idea! Just a thought. I can't wait to see the whole Grape Jelly Family! Love you!
ReplyDelete